Embarking on an SEO campaign means familiarizing yourself with the common terminology used to describe optimization tactics. Knowing how to rank a travel website means considering each factor that has a measurable impact on search engine rankings, such as:
- On site optimization is the technology, schema, metadata, and content optimization done to a site
- Mobile first is the mobile version of a website used by Google as the source of truth for indexing and ranking
- User engagement is the time visitors spend on-site, bounce rate, and other factors used to create an engagement rate Google measures to rank a site
- Search accessibility refers to whether the disabled, spiders, and others can access a site quickly and accurately
- Content that exists onsite and offsite, brand-owned or co-created, organized in a topic/subtopic content hub with ongoing refreshes and updates
- Social media sites are high authority sites where travel companies can build a brand presence through sharing and interaction
- Brand authority refers to the band mentions, scheme authority, high-profile links, and other strategies used for branding
- Semantics are the keywords and semantically/contextually related words in site content for relevance
- Speed on site and page is driven by technical factors, compression, and content delivery, and site speed can dramatically impact SEO
- Type of search is content written for various types of search, such as products, voice, image, etc., which can differ greatly.
Once travel companies and marketers agree on the factors that matter to optimization, the process begins to build an SEO campaign with a goal, such as maximizing the exposure of the tours provided by tour operators. Several process elements are part of creating an SEO plan:
- Assess to understand the company’s goals and aspirations as well as audit the existing site situation
- Research Google and competitors to find marketing opportunities
- Evangelize to get cooperation and ownership, management, and stakeholders
- Plan to develop a strategy and set targets, then identify and recruit resources to execute
- Execute the plan to put it in action
- Measure and analyze the metrics and compare to targets
- Repeat as SEO is a constantly evolving process.
Enterprise tools are used to implement and execute SEO for tourism campaigns to ensure they are measurable, competitive, and manageable. Tools such as BrightEdge, Buzzsumo, Yext, and Google Analytics, Search Console, Tag Manager, and Keyword Planner are all fundamental to developing, executing, and measuring SEO campaigns.
The key to success is finding emotive opportunities and incorporating them into optimized content. Savvy marketing professionals perform an opportunity assessment to show travel businesses where there could be missed revenue opportunities. The process starts with discovery and a strategic workshop to find out the company goals, audience, content capabilities, and relationships to help strengthen branding.
Then multiple audits are conducted to understand the current landscape. Audits include technical SEO, keyword research, content, and backlinks. Travel experiences are also explored to determine which ones are best to promote. High-demand keywords are chosen and supported by specific, localized experience content.
Finally, the competitors are analyzed to determine what they are doing, and if you could be doing it better. What keywords are the competitors ranking for, and how can you get your market share? Measuring Share of Voice accurately assesses competitors for experiences to prioritize competition content marketing plans. Success is ultimately measured by key performance indicators and metrics that reveal how well a travel company is doing yesterday and today.
Because SEO for tourism is a specific niche, it is crucial to work with a team of travel SEO specialists. Optimization strategies are based on a myriad of factors to ensure content is both keyword-rich and emotive. The travel site is analyzed to ensure it functions optimally. All factors are considered to improve brand reputation, expand online presence and improve conversion rates.
Travel executives have unlimited opportunities to create MTEs and develop optimized content to attract travelers to their tours. Smart research reveals opportunities based on search volume, competitor analysis, and other crucial factors. Often marketing teams enlist the assistance of a stellar SEO team to help them find and capitalize on missed opportunities to generate revenue and corner a greater market share.
Are you feeling overwhelmed by the concept of developing such detailed content? Let our experts walk you and your team through the process. Learn how to rank a travel website from the people who know how to do it – Galileo Tech Media. We are proud to serve some of the most respected travel leaders in the world, helping them to achieve – or exceed – their goals.
For a limited time, Galileo is offering a Complimentary SEO Opportunity Assessment to review your current SEO status, compare you with your fiercest competitors, and calculate your potential gains in immediate and relevant site traffic from search engines.